APPRENTICESHIPS IN PRIMARY CARE

An apprenticeship is on the job training that leads to a national qualification. There are different levels of apprenticeships, from intermediate and advanced to higher and degree levels. 

Apprenticeships are used to develop the skills and knowledge of both new and existing employees and typically combine on-the-job training at an employer’s site with off-the-job training provided by a training organisation.

What are the benefits of an apprenticeship?

Apprenticeships are a productive and effective way to grow talent and develop a motivated, skilled and qualified workforce. Apprenticeships allow you to diversify and freshen up your workforce. 

How can I access funding for apprenticeships?

Funding does not cover salary costs (you will have to fund the apprentice’s salary.)There are three ways to access funding to pay for apprenticeship training:

  • Apprenticeship Levy – Employers will a pay bill over £3 million each year pay the apprenticeship levy. Levy paying employers can spend their apprenticeship levy funding on apprenticeship training. 
  • Reserve Government Co-investment – If you don’t pay the levy, you can reserve funding where the government pays 95% of the training costs and the employer pays the remaining 5%. 
  • Levy Transfers – Levy paying employers can transfer some of their annual levy to other employers. These transfers cover 100% of the training costs of the apprenticeship (you still need to cover salary.)

How do I use apprenticeships to grow and develop my team?

Apprenticeships can be used to develop new and existing staff in both clinical and non-clinical roles. 

Step 1: Identify your workforce development need – identify the skills gaps of your workforce and vacancies. Estimate how much salary funding you have to spend on apprenticeship roles. 

Step 2: Access funding – either via levy (if you have a wage bill over £3 million), reserve government co-investment or find a levy transfer. 

Step 3: Choose apprenticeship training & assessments – find a training provider who will offer the right apprenticeship qualification and assess your apprentice over the duration of their qualification. Your local Primary Care Training Hub can help with this. 

Step 4: Advertise a vacancy– you can work with your training provider to help with advertising and shortlisting. They can also help you identify an existing employee as well as recruit new apprentices. 

Step 5: Provide ongoing support for the apprentice– this includes helping new apprentices to adjust to the workplace and planning workload to provide the necessary opportunities to complete practical tasks in line with training goals. 

Where can I find out more? 

You can download a Primary and Social Care Information pack full of useful hints and tips to support you on your apprenticeship journey here.