HEE funding for training (‘SSPRD’)

A Guide to Applying for HEE funding for training (North East & Yorkshire area

Health Education England North East & Yorkshire (HEE NEY) provides Workforce Development Funding and Prescribing Funding to post-registration healthcare professionals (excluding doctors and dentists) to access a wide range of professional healthcare education. This was previously named SSPRD (Specialist Skills & Post Registration) funding.

HEE Workforce Development funding is limited and subject to availability and approval.

It has been agreed within the South Yorkshire Delivery Group that, due to budget constraints, access to training courses must be signed off by the SY&B Primary Care Workforce and Training Hub. This is to ensure that courses are aligned to local priorities and that practices can confirm their support for learners. This guide is designed to answer some frequently asked questions around applying for Health Education England (HEE) Workforce Development funding for course modules and to guide you through the application process.

What is the process for applying for HEE Workforce Development Funding?

  • Complete the module application form on the university website. Ensure that the ‘Further Information In Support of Your Application’ section is completed thoroughly as this will serve as a Training Needs Analysis.
  • A Fees & Funding form will be emailed to you automatically within 1 week of your online application. Check the form and sign it, then pass it to your line manager to approve and complete. Please note that applications will not be accepted without the signature of a senior manager.
  • Send your signed form to the SY&B Primary Care Workforce & Training Hub via for authorisation. You will be notified if this is approved and your form will be returned to the university Admissions Department. The Training Hub will then commission funding from HEE on your behalf, subject to availability.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Who is eligible for HEE Workforce Development/ Prescribing funding?

Funding is currently only available through the SY&B Primary Care Workforce & Training Hub to employees of NHS organisations within South Yorkshire & Bassetlaw. Funding is to support organisational priorities and will only be considered if the education follows the below criteria:

  • The organisation can demonstrate how the learner will be supported
  • The education is job-role specific.

Which courses are covered by HEE Workforce Development funding?

A full list of courses covered by HEE funding can be found on local university websites (please note- this may still be referred to as SSPRD/LBR funding on some websites.)

Which courses are NOT covered by HEE Workforce Development Funding?

SSPRD funding does not cover travel, expenses or subsistence. Neither does it cover:

  • Research & dissertation
  • Doctorates
  • Leadership & Management
  • Research Masters
  • Public Health Masters
  • Mentorship
  • Advanced Practice full 3-year Masters (this is funded separately via the ACP Scheme)

Who is my LBR Lead and why do I need them to sign off/approve my application?

LBR Leads are authorised to sign off training applications to ensure fair distribution of funding and to check that training requests are aligned to local priorities. A full list of LBR Leads can be found on university websites. The LBR Lead for Primary Care in SY&B is Louise Berwick, Programme Manager at the SY&B Training Hub:

Is an approved application a guarantee that I will be funded?

All funding is subject to availability. Applications are dealt with in the order in which they are lodged with the Training Hub and there is a limit on the funding allocation for primary care organisations each year. You will be notified at the first opportunity if your funding application is successful. If HEE funding for the year is fully allocated, your application will be placed on a waiting list until further funding becomes available.
I have applied online for a course at my local university, but I have just received an email to say that there is no HEE funding to support my application. Why is this?

If you wish to apply for HEE funding to cover a training course, this is a 2-step process. You must apply for the course (via the university website) and also apply for the funding from HEE via the Training Hub. Please see the process for applying for courses (above.)

Does HEE Workforce Development funding cover backfill for days out of practice/ clinical supervision?

At the present time, HEE funding covers module fees only (paid direct to the university.) As most modules involves some time out practice for study/ examination, you are advised to consider this prior to application and contact the relevant course leader for further details.

When will my place on the training course be confirmed?

An offer email with course start date details is usually sent by the university 3-6 weeks before the module is due to start. Please note that an offer of a place on the course does not indicate that there is HEE funding available to support your application. 

When will I receive confirmation of HEE funding? 

You will be notified by the Training Hub as soon as funding is confirmed. 

I have received an offer of a place on a course, but I have been informed that there is no HEE funding available. What should I do?

You can either take up the offer of a place and self-fund, or you can choose to defer your place and apply for funding again in the next financial year. Please contact us for advice.

I have been successful in my application for HEE funding, but I have been informed that the course I want to apply for is full. What should I do?

You will need to apply for the next available intake of the course. However, if the next intake is in a new financial year then you will need to re-apply for funding again, as HEE funding cannot be carried over into a new financial year. The Training Hub will prioritise your application and guide you through the process, please contact us for advice.

What should I do if I want to undertake a module in order to work towards a Masters in Advanced Clinical Practice?

If you wish to work towards a Masters degree in Advanced Clinical Practice and your employer has identified the service need for an ACP role, then you are advised to contact the SY&B Primary Care Workforce & Training Hub for advice. Different funding options are available for this and your organisation may be eligible to apply for HEE funding through the ACP Scheme, which comes with an attached Training Grant. The application process for the ACP Scheme is usually around early February each year, with an application deadline around mid-May. Please contact Jo Mirza, ACP Lead at the SY&B Primary Care Workforce & Training Hub for further details: